10.22.2014

sluggish cure alls

I'm not sure if mercury is in retro grade or the fact that its been drizzling/pouring for the last 24 plus hours, but I can't seem to get out of my own way. A few times a year I get into this slump and I typically take a few days to get out of it. I'm running on day two. Tonight I plan on implementing a few of my cure alls for when I'm feeling a little down and unmotivated.

Number one on the list: increasing my Vitamin D. It's been days since I've seen the sun and with the days getting shorter, my sun hours will slowly become zero as winter approaches. To protect my immune system and my mood, I supplement with vitamin D3. Most people in the Northeast, particularly in Maine, have vitamin D deficiency in the winter months. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, which means it needs fat in order absorb it. So be sure to take it with a meal containing fat and always seek out a trusted source for any supplements to make sure you are getting quality ingredients.

I also crave human touch when I'm feeling a bit of the duldrums. A simple hug from my little one or husband does the trick in a pinch, but if I have the time in my schedule, I'll make an appointment for body work. Not only is it relaxing, but human touch helps our body make the feel good hormones of oxytocin which is sure to put anyone in a better mood. 

Although it can be so hard when I'm feeling down, I motivate myself to move. Even if just for 5 minutes. I do a little yoga, or plank with Lil. When I'm done I've accomplished something and that makes me feel good and might be the push I need to keep going and have the momentum to accomplish some other tasks I had been putting off during my sluggish mood. 

Lastly, I take some time for me. Whether it be the scheduled massage, a bath, or some time to journal, a little bit of self-care goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment